View Single Post
Old June 2, 2008, 12:03 PM   #21
divemedic

Quote:
Doesn't matter what canned response one uses, when you point a firearm at somebody and pull the trigger, it's ALWAYS your intention to kill that person, unless you make some OBVIOUS attempt at wounding, such as kneecapping, shooting a foot, etc., etc.
Quote:
"So, you want us to believe that you honestly thought your life was in danger and yet your intended actions were to use less than deadly force?"
No. Using deadly force is not the same as wanting to kill someone. Hitting a person with a bat is deadly force.* Shooting them with a .22 is deadly force. The fact is, I don't care if the person against whom I use deadly force dies or not. If he dies in the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital after killing my entire family, that does me no good. All I care about is that he stops doing whatever it was he was doing that caused me to find it necessary to shoot him. If I can do that reliably without killing him, great. All that matters is that my loved ones and I survive.

Quote:
In the military I am trained that, when using a gun, there is no other intent other than to shoot to kill someone. There are no warning shots, there are no wounding shots, there are only shots fired to kill.
We all know that the military is entirely different from what we are discussing here. Even so, you shoot to stop.

* Deadly force is defined as that amount of force which will, or is likely to, result in death or great bodily harm. Great bodily harm includes any permanent or temporary incapacitating injury, non-trivial scar, or any other injury of a serious nature. This can include broken bones. Hence, use of a bat, being likely to cause broken bones, is considered to legally be deadly force.

Page generated in 0.03058 seconds with 8 queries