View Single Post
Old March 14, 2007, 03:51 PM   #20
JuanCarlos

Quote:
Every time some downtrodden minority group comes along in American history, the great silent majority must be convinced that this "new group" is, in fact, human.
Well put.

Quote:
However, we must remember that in EVERY case of equal rights evolution in this country, change toward equality has been VERY, VERY SLOW. It took over 150 years before people started to realize that the way black people were being treated was wrong. Some folks still haven't learned...
I guess I'm just hoping that after Natives, women, blacks, Jews, and every other group we'd eventually get better at it. You know, do it quicker.

And, in fairness, it does seem to be happening pretty quickly nowadays for homosexuals. Comparatively speaking.

Quote:
It is the natural way of things for America to grow more and more tolerant of gays. Such tolerance is bred from years and years of turmoil and heated debate concerning the way things "ought to be." I, for one, am optimistic that, with enough time and pressure, America will evolve to become more tolerant of gays. However, it is foolish to expect such change to occur overnight.

One thing is for sure, though. Talking about it is good. Talking about how gays should be treated will ultimately lead to an American evolution.
Oh, of course. I'm hoping nobody is foolish enough to expect overnight change. Then again, I'm hoping nobody looking for change is foolish enough to just wait, thinking it's just around the corner. Things may change all on their own when the current elder generations die off...it tends to happen. But every day that the injustice continues is a tragedy, so the sooner the better. And I can't help but think the talking can only bring it about sooner. So yes, talking is very good.

Page generated in 0.04933 seconds with 8 queries