View Single Post
Old October 8, 2006, 01:27 PM   #37
Gewehr98

Sights and ammo.

With "slop" running a close third. Feed my Bulgarian milled SLR-95 rifles decent ammo, like my handloads, and 2" 5-10 round groups at 100 yards aren't too difficult to pull off. That's right there at 2 MOA, and even Uncle Sam feels that's more than adequate for the M16 coming off the line and going into issue channels. Per NATO specs, max acceptable accuracy is 4 MOA with SS109 (aka U.S. M855) ammo, 100 to 600 yards. Still plenty accurate for U.S. combat troops thumping bad guys in Ickystan.

Granted, I've seen some drunken monkey-assembled AK variants from Century that should never have left that particular facility. My own SAR-1 looks rough as a cob compared to my SLR-95, but I can still coax 2.5 MOA out of it.

User familiarity with a given system plays a big part, too. If I give a longtime AR-15 owner an AK and tell him to go play 3-Gun or any/any 100 yard scratch with it, he's going to have a rough time unless he's G. David Tubb, but he could probably win a rifle match with a slingshot.

Take no other rifles to the range for a while save for the AK, work on technique, and you have somebody like Larry Correia on THR - he runs an AK in 3-Gun matches. There is something to be said for the old adage, "Beware the man who has one rifle and knows how to use it."

Neural Misfires

Page generated in 0.03552 seconds with 8 queries