Thread: Touchy subject
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Highwayman

Personally, I wouldn't open carry. It brings too much attention to the individual, especially when law enforcement is involved. I also don't like any would be criminals knowing I have a firearm prior to me employing it in self defense. The cards are already on the table.

I live in TN, where our carry laws are rather nicely written in my opinion. It never says you can't open carry, but it also never out right says you can. Basically, it's written so that if someone catches a glimpse of your firearm as you're "reaching to the top shelf", you won't lose your license. However, legally I can walk out on the street with an open carry and, provided I have my permit with me, I am well within my rights.

My preferred carry choice is an OWB pancake holster with an unbuttoned overshirt. It's comfortable, quickly accessible, and I avoid scaring "the sheep". I also have a very small waist, and IWB just doesn't work well for me. I have an IWB rig, which I use if the situation dictates, but I prefer my belt holster.

That being said, you are in a bit of a different situation. The town I live in is decently large and there is no way I could ever get to know ALL of the law enforcement officers. You mentioned your town is very rural, so if you were able to get to know all your local LEOs, it might not be a problem for you. Again, this would only apply around your local town, but if that's your primary place of carry you might be alright.

Just my two cents.
A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
-- John Stuart Mill

Page generated in 0.03155 seconds with 8 queries