View Single Post
Old August 13, 2011, 09:59 AM   #24
wb4tjh

I think we have carried this hollow point thing a bit too far in the .380 auto discussions. After having read reports and comments by ER doctors who have treated gunshot wounds, and homicide detectives who have investigated hundreds of shootings, I have come to the conclusion that in these smaller calibers, .25, .32, and .380, the lack of bullet weight and velocity make it evident that hollowpoint/expanding ammo is NOT very effective in these weaker cartridges. PENETRATION is the key here, and that means full metal jacketed bullets. Gellatin and water jug tests look good on paper, but in reality, many expanding .380 rounds do not penetrate far enough in actual human shootings to do enough damage to stop an attacker. You can do your own research on the internet on this subject, so I won't get into any arguments here on this forum. But as a result of my own investigations, I have decided that I will only carry full metal jacketed ammo in my P238. The gellatin junkies can continue their arguments to the contrary, but penetration is the key to effectiveness with the .380 and other mouse gun rounds, not expansion. Over penetration can occur, of course, but that will be in rare circumstances. When you are shooting to defend your life or the lives of others, you have to hit the bad guy's vitals and in these small calibers, penetration is the only thing that makes real world sense.

Page generated in 0.04157 seconds with 8 queries