Thread: Bear defense
View Single Post
Old May 23, 2000, 07:05 AM   #7
John/az2

I had never seen a bear in the wild before two week-ends ago when I was up with a church youth group camping in the hills around Miami, Arizona.

Around dusk some shouted out that there was a bear and to come see. Of course all of the boys immediately took off running. The fathers shouting behind to keep their distance.

I grabbed my fanny pack, strapped it on and took off after them.

A cub had wandered within 100 yards of our camp (this was an established park, so there were many campers within the area). We managed to reign the boys in at about 50 yards (still too close for my comfort), and watch as this bear snuffled about and then finally ran off into the woods.

There was some speculation on where the mother would be, or even if this small bear had a mother about, when we heard another shout announcing another bear.

Fortunately not many heard that one, but I ran over to make sure that those who did kept back, WAY BACK.

This one was twice the size as the first, and about 100 yards away. It could have been the mama. When it looked directly at me, I knew it was time to walk away.

I believe I was the only one in the camp who was armed, but I have no idea how well 15 shots of 9mm would have stopped a charging mother bear. I suspect, not well at all.

BTW, that first bear was found when it came down a tree next to the one that one of the boys was peeing against.

Major pucker factor!

------------------
John/az
"When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!
www.cphv.com

Page generated in 0.02489 seconds with 8 queries