View Single Post
Old October 31, 2006, 09:19 AM   #66
BillCA

Is it just me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic70002
The 2 biggest mistakes a suspect makes are talking assuming the police know more than they do. The third is leaving witnesses
Or did I miss something?

I've seen the adrenaline dump cause people to do odd things in the aftermath of a life-threatening event. Some can't stay still. Some yell & scream. Some cry, swear, laugh, giggle, shake uncontrollably, faint or sit down and go to sleep when it wears off.

Remember, no matter how sympathetic the cops are, they are not your friends, they are doing their job to investigate. Give a minimum of information and advise your spouse to do the same. Tell no lies since if they are discovered to be lies it will make you look worse (and may be grounds for prosecution).

The best way to tell no lies, it is easiest to say nothing without your lawyer present. When it comes time to answer questions with your lawyer, don't answer immediately, to allow your lawyer a chance to jump in. Consider each question and try to recall the circumstances before answering. If you can't remember a detail, say so. If asked to pin down anything like time, distance, number of shots fired, etc. prefix your responses with "as I remember it..." or "the way it seemed to me was..." You are providing your perceptions of the event and because you are human, your perception of a specific item may be less than perfect. Example: You recall shooting twice. Evidence shows you fired 4 shots -- two sets of double-taps.

Page generated in 0.05518 seconds with 8 queries