View Single Post
Old October 8, 2006, 07:55 AM   #10
Sarge

Quote:
Now I hear peopel saying the 30-06 is not going to do much other than hunting and unless you just hunt with it it's stupid to own one. That true?
Don't let crap like this influence your confidence in your rifle. It is indeed more versatile than the .308; a fine cartridge in its own right. The '06 offers more velocity with bullets of 200 grains and greater. This matters if you intend to handload it for truly heavy game. East of the Rockies, the '06 will do it all. Where the really big game roams, I still contend you are better off with a .338 Winchester. This is simple physics, and is no slam on the 30-06.

I have shot and loaded for the '06 for about 20 years now. I have shot it extensively, and to about 900 yards on occasion. All of the game I have killed with it has been inside 300. I have never lost a deer with this cartridge, and none has ever required a second shot. I cannot think of a better recommendation for a medium game rifle.

I eventually settled on a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at about 2900 fps, as my "go to" .30-06 load. There are no bears where I hunt, or I'd be loading heavier, tougher bullets. Both our Remingtons (7400 and a hard-used old 78) shoot exceptionally well with the Nosler BT. 300 yard shots are well within the capability of either rifle, so loaded.

Enjoy your .30-06, and stop listening to idiots.

Page generated in 0.03793 seconds with 8 queries