View Single Post
Old September 5, 2005, 03:11 PM   #25
XavierBreath

Rich, Gentlemen,
I am humbled. I really don't know what to say.

Today another friend and myself made a supply run to Darbonne State Park, which is about 45 miles away. Every campsite/cabin is filled there with a lot of folks doing the "primitive camp" thing. The State Park has waived any fees for the duration, but the Red Cross for whatever reason will not assist these people. The towns of Farmerville and Bernice have pretty much told the Red Cross to go suck eggs. The towns people are providing everything from meals to laundry services. These are two very small towns! Maybe a redlight between them! Anyway, we loaded up supplies and clothes and made a run. I did a bit of the nurse gig, but not much was needed. Yet. I find it appalling the Red Cross won't support this effort at Lake Darbonne. I don't know if it is justifiable red tape or just lack of publicity up there, but you have to hand it to Farmerville and Bernice. Those folks are the best.

I did not carry a camera to NOLA. Mike carried a small point and shoot that got submerged in the first 12 hours. We soon forgot any thoughts of photography. I don't know if I would feel right snapping pictures at the relief shelters or camp sites. To me it kind of seems like taking pictures of strangers in the bathroom. Something isn't quite right with it. I don't object to others doing it, I just don't feel comfortable behind that lens. I feel these folks need some privacy in their loss.

One of the nurses I work with has adopted a family of five, and has actually allowed them to move into her home with her. Quite a few people are doing this. I'm a bit paranoid in that respect though, and much to protective of my daughter.

I'm training a couple of nurse friends in firearms useage this week. The same rumors have spread here. Supposedly violence in the streets at our Civic Center. The police have debunked the rumors, but they persist. I have one woman wanting to buy a revolver from me, but only if I'll sell one for $100. Right.

I'll go back to work tomorrow, and get around to see my patients. I wonder what they will have to say about it all. I wonder if I should even tell them where I have been. I will need to keep moving to get everyone seen, but it would be nice to get a couple of my old codger's opinions.

Page generated in 0.02472 seconds with 8 queries