View Single Post
Old February 28, 2024, 03:52 PM   #13
ligonierbill

You know what kills people in Montana? The weather. If you want to carry a rifle, go ahead, but I'd rather "spend" my weight budget on extra clothes, water, and emergency gear. When I lived in SE Idaho, some folks did carry 44 Mags, and I knew or knew of a number of people who encountered hostile critters (more likely to be an ornery moose). Only once did someone I knew defend his camp with a firearm. The story was, this guy rolled over in his sleeping bag and dropped a bear with his 44. When I actually talked to him, he was in a hard sided camper, it was a black bear that just wouldn't leave despite much pot banging, and he shot it with a bolt action 308. Never once did I hear of someone drawing their pistol and killing an attacking bear, though I'm sure it has happened.

If I were to pack a 44 in your situation, I would find some commercial heavy hardcast bullets, like from Buffalo Bore. And keep it close and ready. A bear that's demonstrating usually would be happy if you just left. A bear on the attack is likely to come out of the bushes like a freight train. Have fun whatever you decide.

Page generated in 0.02805 seconds with 8 queries