View Single Post
Old October 30, 2008, 10:37 AM   #10
OldMarksman
Staff

From easyG:
Quote:
I just can't see calling the police everytime a raccoon gets on my deck and knocks over the grill, or whenever the neighbors cats are "doing the wild thing" under my porch, or whenever a falling tree-limb hits the house, etc...
Good call!

Quote:
Surely you guys don't really call the police everytime you hear an odd noise?
Nope!

Quote:
You don't check it out yourselves before dialing 911?
Let's be clear on this. If the noise does not recur, and there is no indication that someone is breaking into or has broken into the house, I do nothing. If I heard a strange, non-recurring sound outside I would ignore it. If it sounds like the line to the dishwasher has broken, I "check it out" and take appropriate action to prevent water damage. But if there is indication of a break-in, I do not put myself at risk by looking for the agressor. And I sure as heck don't arm myself and go outside, under any circumstances.

From what I've seen on Personal Defense TV, from what I've read, and from what I was taught in my CCW class, it is evident that the preponderance of the expert advice is to call the police and let the threat come to you, unless it is necessary to first get family members in other rooms to a place of safety.

Page generated in 0.02342 seconds with 8 queries