View Single Post
Old July 6, 2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Jart

Well, I've never done well questioning published resources, but I'm getting really confused - no big surprise there.

Anyhow, I can't see any obvious reason to distrust scanned images of "The Tech" newspaper of Boston Mass from November 15 and 16 of 1910.

Link to 11/16/10 page 2 here: PDF_link01

Link to 11/15/10 page 2 here: PDF_link02

On each we have an ad from the J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company of Chicopee Falls, Mass for a model 335 with "..high pressure steel... for nitro powder", which would seem to contradict the Carder listing for "laminated steel".

I'm not sure the "have it checked by a gunsmith" dealio is the alpha and omega either as the 'smith at the shop said I was FoS about the laminated barrels. Bear in mind this is the same dude that was implying the Leader sidelock was an L.C. Smith trade gun rather than a Crescent. So I'm disinclined to slip his advice in between Mark, Luke and John as gospel.

I'm no expert - maybe the 20.00 in 1910 doesn't wash as the L.C. Smith was only around 30.00 and I have no clue if they really were in Chicopee or if "nitro proofed" means what I think it does. Or, for that matter, that this 335 wasn't made well before 1910 when it had "nitro proofed" barrels.

I am, however, growing convinced that I've beaten the thing to death and wore of all of y'all out. So how 'bout I just buy the thing (it's only 200 OTD), tie it to a tire, tie a string to the triggers, back up 10 yards and let fly?

So the question then becomes: What makes a good proof load? Heaviest 2-3/4" hi-brass hevi-shot goose load I can find?

Any other ideas?

Thanks
And sorry about confusing the issue so much.

Page generated in 0.02573 seconds with 8 queries