View Single Post
Old July 7, 2005, 12:06 PM   #10
Jart

Re: marks on watertable - I'll check this evening. Which brings up another question: how does one break down this beast? A poster on THR noted that the model 311 did not require removal of the fore stock.

However, "Pulling down on front" doesn't seem to be getting it for me, but I'm sure I'm missing something simple (assuming the takedown is the same 335 to 311 - the screw applied fore stock sounds the same).

Cory Stevens publishing has a book on Stevens and I've located somebody advertising a 1912 Stevens catalog repro - I may just pop for one or both as I'm getting curious.

Elsewhere online, I've found a reference to production being from 1910 to 1940 which seems plausible given the newspaper scan.

Someone on Gunbroker, citing 16th edition, Bluebook 101 says 67,500 manufactured 1912 through 1931. This would be plausible if Stevens marketing was a prototype of Ruger's on the Gold Label

An American Hunter article from 1999 opined:
Quote:
your Remington Model 10 and Stevens 335 should be appropriate for shooting bismuth and tungsten-polymer shot, but due to their age, you might want to run them by a gunsmith just to be sure all is well.
I find it oddly gratifying that there's a degree of mystery on this old warhorse. Reminds me that these "fowling peeces" were once so common and unregulated that serial numbers, if used, were optional.

Pricing is a pleasant surprise. Admittedly, it's apparent excellent condition will decline some as I intend to shoot the wangers out of it, if it doesn't blow up.

Page generated in 0.02343 seconds with 8 queries