View Single Post
Old July 8, 2005, 05:50 AM   #13
Jart

It's always dangerous when an amateur like me gets tangled up in terminology but laminated, if not synonomous with "damascus", still is of the type where internal "sandwich" rusting can reduce strength...

From Briley:
Quote:
Made largely with Damascus, twist or laminated-steel barrels, virtually none are safe to shoot as they are.
From DoubleGun:
Quote:
Belgian laminated steel barrels were nothing more than plain twist barrels and should not be compared or likened to the British laminated steel. British barrels that were labeled laminated steel were, by law, required to have a minimum of 60 % steel in the composite. High quality British laminated steel barrels did NOT look like twist barrels or have a twist pattern
L.C. Smith also used the term "damascus" interchangeably with "laminated" in certain grades.

I gather that "laminated" may imply all the weakness of damascus but not have the pattern that would make it recognizable. Thus the tire and string apparatus. Although I'm beginning to think Carder is in the minority on the margarine vs. butter... I mean laminated vs plain... debate.

Also, the stock isn't laminated - isn't checkered either, so there's another area where Carder varies from observation.

Thanks for the help with takedown - the fore end seems rock solid with the action closed, but it's kinda early here and my muscles may not have woken up yet. I'll try it again this evening. The 335 may differ from the 311 or it may be a bit stiff from not being taken down since 1910 (!).

Page generated in 0.02606 seconds with 8 queries