View Single Post
Old December 3, 2005, 05:19 AM   #9
grimjaw

I've been in the Texas Highway Patrol for several years and have learned, that in most situations, you can talk your way out of it without having to use or threaten to use physical force. Not in every situation, but most.

Shouldn't you include the fact that as a member of the THP you're allowed to carry openly? Your gun is already brandished, basically, so you don't have to threaten. I think that if I was in a confrontation with someone that I knew had a gun, I might be a little more friendly, too. It's not that I disagree with your point, it's just your experience might be a little different than myself.

I wouldn't have drawn in the specific case mentioned, either, but neither do I think I would have been able to talk the person down if he threatened me. I've not been trained to do so, nor have I had experience in confronting thugs. So what does that leave me with? Avoid the situation if at all possible, contact authorities if there is time, and when all else fails, hope I brought enough gun.

jmm

Page generated in 0.02648 seconds with 8 queries