View Single Post
Old May 9, 2001, 06:59 PM   #25
Jeff OTMG

I have a problem with being assumed guilty until I am checked and found to be innocent. However, if the background check can be run in less than 5 mins and return a definitive answer I do not have a problem with it as it is not intrusive. I do not agree with the delays or approves that take 2 or 3 days. As was stated, some individuals do not have the right to keep and bear arms, convicted felons and it has been upheld by the Supreme Court as a limitation, and provided the check is non-intrusive I have no objection to it. For a govt entity to accumulate the information on legal purchases is intrusive, to assume guilt because the check cannot be completed is intrusive, for the check to take 20 mins is intrusive, to provide information contained on a 4473 that will be kept by someone you may not know is intrusive. To plop down cash and ID for a gun and wait 5 mins for a background check is not intrusive. The records are what I object to. I would like to see a box on the drivers licenses of every state that says, "QUALIFIES FOR FIREARMS OWNERSHIP". The box is only checked if you request it. If your box is checked you can buy a gun anywhere in the country, the background check being completed in advance by your state of residence. If you are an anti-gunner you would not have your box checked and would look like a criminal to anyone that you provided ID to when you wrote a check. Of course some people disagree with all of the GCA '68, even the part requiring a unique seral number be put on every firearm, I agree with that.

Page generated in 0.02486 seconds with 8 queries