View Single Post
Old September 11, 2006, 07:54 PM   #17
Spur0701

That was my understanding.........I think I had read an article somewhere about Tar-hunt, an outfit in PA, that did some special accuraizing on 870s....they talked about useing Hasting barrels (which have a good rep) and pinning them in place for rigidity. I was browsing around Sportsmansguide last summer not long after that and saw where they had a sale on 18" rifled 12 ga barrels with built-in scope mount for about $140 or so.....and I had an 870 that I had gotten cheap used at a local gun shop....it had a lot of rust on the receiver.....so I stripped it down, painted the receiver flat black with Gunkote, put the Hasting barrel on there with a $100 3-9X40mm Nikon scope I got off gunbroker, plus a $50 pistol grip synthetic stock ........wha la......for less than $400 I had a slug gun that had 200 yard potential.....I ratcheted down the retaining screw with a padded set of vice grips and the accuracy I was getting was good enough that I didn't bother pinning the barrel......my understanding was that the Hasting barrel had a better rep than Remington.....the price on the Hastings barrels was what got me started on the project in the first place....but I never owned both and shot them side by side......

Page generated in 0.02512 seconds with 8 queries