View Single Post
Old September 17, 2009, 09:43 PM   #19
jfruser

I own several pocket carry guns, one of which happens to be a Kel-Tec P40 I have owned for years.

Current mods from stock (KT P40):
Polished feed ramp
Nickel plated slide
PT Night sights
Skatebpard grip tape
Belt Clip
What do I think about the KT P40?

Well, it is in my CCW rotation, for it has qualities that make it the best choice for particular circumstances.

It is a whole lotta pistol. It is ~14oz unloaded. With 180gr loads (not suggested...165gr or less is wiser) subjective recoil is greater than a SW640 (all stainless 25oz unloaded) stoked with hot 125gr .357mag pills. It has a L-O-N-G trigger pull that is stout. Did I mention the recoil?

On the upside, it is quite the accurate little package of dynamite. The trigger smooths up with 1000 dryfires. The PT night sites blow chunks as night sites, considering that they went dark in 3 years, but they are great iron sites and have a great sight picture. Toss in an inherently accurate pistol and, if you take your time to work the trigger, 9" paper plates at 25 yards are doomed, doomed when shooting off-hand.

Tips:
* If you are carrying it in the pocket, use the standard mag, no pinky grip extension. If in any other mode, use a mag with hte pinky grip extension.
* Skateboard grip tape is your friend
* Polish the feed ramp. Even if it is reliable stock, the P40 is at the edge of what is possible in a .40S&W pistol. Buy the "insurance" that some jeweler's rouge and the light, judicious application of a dermel felt bullet tip attachment.
* Belt clip is love/hate. I love it, as it allows me to slide a service-cartridge-chambered weapon into my waist band and walk out the door.
Would I buy it again?

Hmm, tough question. It started out a drama queen, but has matured into a reliable weapon with unique functionality. Thing is, I am not wedded to .40S&W. Frankly, I am not to fond of .40S&W. I am a .45ACP man at heart and if I go smaller, the 9mm seems more natural a jump.

I think the Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm (http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.htm) is the service-cartridge pocket auto standard all others seek to match (but none do). It has less recoil. It is flatter and lighter than all other small 9mm pistols, save maybe the Rohrbaugh. It can be had with a belt clip.

My pocket guns are listed below in ease of pocket carry, hardest to easiest. The P40 can be carried in a front pocket if the pocket is larger than usual. Think cargo pant/short pockets, not Levi 501 pockets.

Good luck on your hunt.

Oh, if you are in the DFW area, we can meet at a local range & you can shoot it. I can write it off as "networking."

Kel-Tec P-40 .40S&W Nickeled Slide

AMT DAO Backup .45ACP

Taurus 651SH2 .357mag

Beretta 21A .22LR

Kel-tec P32 .32ACP

Last edited by jfruser; September 17, 2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: one more thing....

Page generated in 0.03026 seconds with 8 queries