View Single Post
Old November 4, 2008, 08:57 PM   #14
300magman

Quite a discussion...I did like that article about medium velocity bullets though. Kinda reminds me about the topic that eventually led me to write this post.
A friend of mine told me that while a 300RUM was a great 300 yard deer rifle his 30.06 would kill deer twice as dead at 50 yards. His reasoning being that a 150 gr bullet fired from each would be going so fast comming out of the RUM that it would "laser through" a deer at 50 yards and make a pin hole so quick and smooth that no shock would transfer to the deer and the wound channel would be tiny compared to the slower 30.06 which would impart significant "shock" into the deer.
I don't know about his "laser" theory but I don't argue with him on the last point, I've seen what my and his 30.06's can do at 50 yards and the damage to even a well struck deer does indicate some real "shock" to the area surrounding the entrance and especially exit wounds.
This kinda lead me to think, would 30 cals "laser" less than 7mm and from there this post was born.

But as said...what deer would ever know the difference ?

On a different note, when people say "knock down power" I don't think of it like being hit with a bag of cement has more knock down force to it than being shot with a .22 To me its not about physically shoving the target, I take the term to mean how quickly a animal is killed or how fast a bullet throws the switch from alive to dead....instantly or over 2 seconds or over 10 etc. Thats what I personally call knock down power. As stated, Newton's laws (equal and opposite reactions) perclude a bullet actually picking a deer up and throwing it over...unless the shooter landed on his ass too.

Page generated in 0.03386 seconds with 8 queries