View Single Post
Old November 5, 2008, 10:44 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

1st off, from the examples you used, IMO, not enough of a difference...

I've posted similarly before, but as the "new guy" to my father in laws hunting party ( many many years ago )... I got to do most of the field dressing of the deer ( I guess they wanting to make sure I knew how )... early on, I used a .243, nearly everyone else used a 30-06, the owner of the hunting land shot 300 Win Mag, & in the later years, I used a 45-70 Marlin...

as mentioned earlier, it's pretty hard to make everything equal... but the 45-70 made smaller bruised ( blood shot / wasted meat ) areas than the '06's, the 300, or the .243... however, that is due to velocity...

my personal opinion, if you could make everything equal ( impossible, without increasing the velocity of the smaller bullet, without decreasing the larger bullet's velocity to an ineffectual level ) the 45 should have more knock down than the 22...

but because you have to increase the velocity of the smaller round, the hydrolic shock is an impressive force on tissue... probably even more so that the force of a big fat meplat spanking the side of an animal, at a much decreased speed...

... however, in my exprience, the 45-70 plants deer slightly better than the 243... if engine room trama doesn't result in instant death / interupted nerve communication between the brain & the body

Page generated in 0.03793 seconds with 8 queries