Thread: 620 vs 686 SW
View Single Post
Old September 2, 2005, 04:15 AM   #2
CarbineCaleb

Hi Dave - well, I am not an expert on the internals, but since noone else is answering, will tell what I think, but take with a grain of salt... In design, I believe these two are virtually identical. In fact, I don't *think* there is much difference in basic mechanical design between any of the many S&W double action revolvers.

The 686 has, I believe the old style barrel. Some folks here get real worked up about the new two piece barrel. Personally, I don't get real worked up either way about it, and suspect for 99% of buyers, the difference is a nonissue.

As far as cylinder size between a 6 shot and 7 shot L-frame - I think it may be a bit bigger on the 7-shot yes. I saw a photo of the 619 (6-shot) vs 620:

...and it is a little bigger there.

Personally, I think the 620 is a little prettier with the half lug, but the 686P looks a bit more intimidating, and will have just a little less flip with that extra meat out there (I have the 4" 686P). Plus, if you're worked up about the two-piece barrel too, you'll sleep better with the knowledge that the construction method of your revolver has been in use for awhile.

Good luck,
Caleb

Page generated in 0.02520 seconds with 8 queries