View Single Post
Old December 14, 2009, 10:11 AM   #21
freakshow10mm

Yup. I've been an FFL for three years, HOME BASED. Storefront is a myth. You have to comply with local zoning ordinances. In my village there is no such thing as zoning. If I want to get my Type 10 FFL I can make missiles in the back yard if I felt like it.

Let me give you some advice about being an FFL that I've learned.

The ATF industry ops team are basically accountants. They are NOT trained how to fire a weapon and are not authorized to carry a firearm. The field agents carry guns. The industry ops don't.

The ATF cares about paperwork. They don't give a crap that I have machine guns and silencers because I have the proper paperwork. My company is an 07/02, all weapons are on the proper Form 2, and properly logged into my manufacturing log book. They are also locked up tight and out of view.

My clients (the very few local transfer clients) do not ever see where guns are stored and they never come close to the proximity of their storage facility. They walk into my office, their gun is laying out for inspection, we do paperwork, and I walk them out. They have no clue what I have, where it is, or even if it's stored on the premises. There are no signs on my home, I don't advertise locally, nothing. The only thing suspect that I'm running a home based business is UPS comes buy about 3-4 out of 5 days of the week, but the mailman comes by 6 days a week and that's normal too.

I will also advise you if you run home based, as soon as you can afford to go to another facility do it. It's nice not having to commute, etc and for my business model (internet sales and LE agency sales) I don't worry about walk in customers since my local customer base is either a few transfers a month or the two gun shows up here. Next year I'm moving out of the home and getting a separate business facility.

Page generated in 0.03347 seconds with 8 queries