View Single Post
Old July 20, 2008, 08:08 PM   #1
B.N.Real

Handgun finishes-What's what?

O.k.,when I was growing up,you pretty much had two types of gun finishes.

1. Blued-the most common-varied from just o.k. to Derrn That's A Classic loking handgun!

2. Nickel-looked nice,real shiny but when it wore off,that was it you had to redo the entire gun.

Then along came

3.True Stainless Steel handguns and it changes everything.

But now I see guns with what looks like :

4. Painted on finish-really cheap looking that just keeps the gun from rusting until it's used alot.

5.High quality heat cured(I guess) polymer paint jobs on guns-that are rugged and look really great on the guns they are on.

6.The Wonder finish on Witness guns-which makes me Wonder what the heck it is.

7. and now there are what seems to be several types of aftermarket surface treatments that can be applied by gun reconditioners to maximize the outside life and function of a gun.

8. And lastly,just to throw a wrench into things- I am seeing guns with dark finishes on them marked stainless on the slides.

(edit-kudos to Saab1911 post #12 for mentioning this-)

(9.parkerized finishes-they have been around a very long time ,I would guess as long as nickel plated finishes or even older-and as per him-it is a very durable finish-sorry I missed that)

My questions are as follows:

A.Is this an oxide type finIsh to make the stainless look darker so the shooter is'nt so easily seen by a bad guy?

B.Do you have a favorite gun finish and:

C.Do you have any finishes that you simply will not buy a gun because they have them on them?

D. Do you know of any new gun finishes that are new and you're really happy that you chose them for your particular gun?

E.. What the heck is that Wonder Finish on the Witness guns?

Any info would be appreciated.

Last edited by B.N.Real; July 21, 2008 at 04:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.03002 seconds with 8 queries