View Single Post
Old October 28, 2009, 03:52 PM   #30
DaveTec

I like the concept behind the pow r'balls. The nylon ball acts as a streamliner when the bullet is flying thru the air, and doesn't allow for coat/hair or obstructions to interfere with penetration. When it does penetrate the nylon ball pushes back, opening or starting the expansion of the bullet.

And it does leave quite a bit of stuff in the BG/target by the looks of that picture above. And with 8" of penetration, that would reach an internal organ (usually) with a big old ragged hole for a secondary wound channel.

Another forum I frequent posted a guideline on what will stop a BG. Expansion wasn't the primary method of stopping someone, critical blood loss was (unless you hit the spine/brainstem). For a center mass shot to be an effective "show stopper" the bullet and it's primary wound channel has to pierce a vital organ (liver, heart etc...) and the BG has to suffer critical blood loss. Which gives them approx 15 seconds to continue conscious effort.

The secondary wound channel (caused by the expansion) didn't play much part in the lethality of the shot. This concept is why most of the detectives who routinely carry the .380 load choose FMJ's and try to achieve a 12" penetration.

I'll try to find the link from this report. It was very informative reading. Almost makes me want to hang on to my plinkers, and throw my HP's down range at the paper.

Page generated in 0.02809 seconds with 8 queries