View Single Post
Old April 20, 2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Alvis

Man puts Car out of its misery

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

Broward man shoots car to put it out of misery

LAUDERDALE-BY-THE-SEA, Fla. (AP) -- A man with car trouble is in trouble after shooting his 1994 Chrysler LeBaron.

John McGivney, 64, pumped five rounds from a .380-caliber semiautomatic into the hood, Broward County sheriff's deputies said Tuesday.

When the property manager at his apartment complex asked what he was doing, McGivney said, "I'm putting my car out of its misery." He tucked his gun in a pocket and went back inside.

Deputies responding to a report of gunshots Friday ordered McGivney to come out of his apartment and arrested him on a misdemeanor charge of discharging a firearm in public. He posted $100 bail Saturday.

McGivney said the car has been giving him trouble for years and has "outlived its usefulness." He called the shooting "dumb" and worries he will be evicted. But he doesn't regret it.

"I think every guy in the universe has wanted to do it," McGivney told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel on Tuesday. "It was worth every damn minute in that jail."

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Page generated in 0.02279 seconds with 8 queries