View Single Post
Old June 14, 1999, 02:38 PM   #1
Ipecac

A good friend of mine, an Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist we'll call John, was charged by a brown bear last Thursday while doing some field biology work. The bear first became aware of his presence when John was about 75 yards away, then came on the run. My friend is well-schooled in bear behavior, having worked in remote parts of the state for over 15 years, and he did all the right things, except for choice of bullet.

John was carrying his .44 magnum S&W 629, loaded with semi-jacketed 240 grain hollowpoints. He thinks two shots hit the bear: one to the left shoulder, one right between the shoulder blades. The bear turned and ran into the woods, a bit unsteadily after the spine shot, and disappeared. John and another ADF&G biologist attempted to follow up the bear the next day with heavier artillery, but lost the trail after around 400 yards and 6 hours of tracking. It is their opinion, and mine, that the bear was not mortally wounded.

My point in posting this is that if you go into bear country always carry a gun, the biggest you are willing to pack, and load it with proper ammo. Big, tough bullets are necessary to penetrate sufficiently; in handguns only FMJ's and hardcast lead do the trick, not softpoints and especially not hollowpoints. In shotguns, sabot slugs are the order of the day, and in rifles use a premium controlled expansion bullet like x-bullets or a-frames.

This is the second friend that was charged or actually bitten in the last two years. The one who got chewed on had his gun in his pack, of all places.

When in bear country, be ready for bears.

Page generated in 0.04034 seconds with 8 queries