View Single Post
Old August 11, 2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Olaf

This does happen sometimes, due to the magnet in the base. This acts on the steel piece attached to the end of the beam, to slow it's swinging and stabilize it on centre (when the weight is as set). What is happening is that the beam has been disturbed on it's pivot (probably by bumping or slamming it around when the pan is removed or replaced). So, the beam is disturbed...and the steel pc. is now too close to the magnet...which causes the swing of the beam to be impaired.

This is not really a big deal. What I always do, when it happens, is to gently push on the beam, to cause it to swing and to re-seat itself properly on the pivot. Then, the beam stabilizes and all is OK. This used to bother me, when it happened - just like you. At first, I always emptied the pan and re-zeroed the scale. Eventually, I figured out that, if the scale was properly zeroed in the first place (before starting use)...it wasn't necessary to re-zero it when this happens. That is, as long as the beam hasn't been slammed about unduly. Now, when I use my Lee scale, I am as gentle as possible when adding a charge to the pan, removing the pan and replacing it. So, this problem seldom happens to me, anymore.

One more thing. If, after the scale hangs up...and you free the beam, the indicator stops at other than the balance point (as long as the small weight slider hasn't moved) - then the scale has gotten out of zero. You must then re-zero it, before continuing. It really isn't a big problem, but does require being gentle. Any undue slamming about of the beam can cause the zero to wander.

I know how you feel. This, as well as the relative difficulty in reading the (tenths of a grain) range...are the most common complaints about the Lee scale. Try not to worry too much about it. It's not that big a deal.

Page generated in 0.02287 seconds with 8 queries