View Single Post
Old August 11, 2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Peculiar!

Never heard of a scale that did exactly what you describe. I'd contact Lee's customer service people. They have treated me VERY well the few times I've needed it.

No, no, no, you don't want to go to a digital! Stay away from the dark side! You would be paying gobs more $$ and giving up accuracy. Not a good deal.

With a digital, you go from, say, 25.4 grains, directly to 25.5 grains. You have no idea if you have 25.36 grains, 25.40 grains, or 25.45 grains. Then at 25.46 grains, the digital goes to 25.5 grains, and stays there all the way through 25.55 grains. So the digital is limited to "about a tenth of a grain" accuracy. With a balance beam you can see these differences, and compensate accordingly.

If you're being truly accurate in your charge weighing, this matters, especially with very small pistol charges, where a small error is a significant percentage of the entire charge.

Edit: Just got to read Olaf's post. If he's right, you have a very simple, easy-to-correct problem. And he has the solution.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; August 11, 2005 at 10:03 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.

Page generated in 0.02262 seconds with 8 queries