Thread: When eating out
View Single Post
Old November 29, 2009, 11:41 PM   #14
BillCA

Quote:
When you are dining out, what is your method of maintaining situational awareness. Here 4 officers, trained, were taken out by one BG. Why would you, or I, be different ?
First, as Glenn said (and beat me to it), you can't guarantee you'll have time to react or do anything before the shootin' starts.

Sitting where you can see the entrance, as a rule, is a good thing. But if you're with other like-minded folks, someone may have to sit down "the wrong way". That's when I pay attention to their eyes and faces. If they're looking past me for more than 2 seconds (or their eyes get wide) it's condition orange time.

Booth or table? Booths can be more comfortable and sometimes feel more secure. But unless they're somewhat out of the way, I think they can be death traps. It's harder to get up and out of a booth than a table. Some of the newer restaurants have fixed supports in the floor for a sliding table. Conventional tables can be up-ended for a barrier (concealment at least) and you can move in several directions from the chairs.

Unless you're in uniform, it's not likely you'll be ambushed like these 4 officers. But keeping aware of your surroundings is always a good thing to practice.

Page generated in 0.02802 seconds with 8 queries