View Single Post
Old February 19, 2007, 06:15 PM   #16
delzo

My finished product for a buddy's carbine, who only wanted the surface imperfections removed and a good sealing coat throughout. Due to rust pitting, a matte blue was used on all the metal. I was able to preserve the cartouche and the darkening of the grip area from the original owners skin oils!

I thinned the Min-wax Antique Oil Finish by added 25% mineral spirits for the first 4 coats. It absorbed into the wood really quick. I then hand rubbed 5 more coats in with my fingers alone. When it was too sticky to keep rubbing, I moved to another area. After allowing it to dry for a couple of days, I steel wooled it with 0000 before the next coat and only quit when all the grain was filled. The coats I put on was so thin, the surface looked like a peach seed until the last coat was done.

The original owner is gone now and his son wanted to save it as a wall-hanger only. I was proud it turned out good enough to make his mother quietly sob when she saw it. Every nick and bruise on that stock held a memory.

Thanks for the excellent instructions and tips on the refinishing, Dfariswheel.

Page generated in 0.03397 seconds with 8 queries