View Single Post
Old September 25, 2007, 04:47 PM   #21
Charles S

Quote:
Personally I won't use anything smaller than a .308. Shot placement is just too critical with the smaller calibers. Not saying you won't lose deer with a bad shot from a .308 and up but it's less likely.
Actually the local deer wear body armor here also I personally use nothing less than 50 BMG for white tails.

Sarcasm off.

There are a number of calibers that are wonderful for whitetail deer or any other deer that are smaller than the 308.

The 250 Savage, 257 Robers, 250-06, 260 Remington, 6.5X55, 6.5X284, 7-08, 7X57, 284 Winchester, 280 Remington, 30-30, and 300 Savage all come to mind. That is without any effort on my part and avoiding the 6mm calibers that are quite adequate with the proper loadings.

There is not need for a 308 on white tails, it is a great gun but it is not the minimum caliber.

With the proper bullet selection and a good shot the 22-250 is adequate. However there are much better choices if you are willing to spend a little money. If you are stuck with the 22-250 then dance with who brung yu choose a premium bullet like the Nolser Partition or the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (both loaded by Federal) and choose your shot carfully. Practice.

Deer are taken by the thousands with a bow yearly (I do it myself), you do not need a cannon to kill deer.

Page generated in 0.03650 seconds with 8 queries