View Single Post
Old September 25, 2007, 05:39 PM   #24
Charles S

Quote:
Much better than the others you listed. IMHO of course.
While I find the 308 to be a phenomenal cartridge it is not and never will be the equal of a 6.5X55, 6.5X284, 270, or 280 for deer.

Quote:
It is a very good, very accurate round for deer
Agreed.

If your shot placement requires more caliber that is fine for you, but the 308 is not the minimum caliber for deer.

I have never lost a deer nor had to track one and I have used a lot of calibers smaller than a 30-06. I have taken deer beyond 300 yards with smaller calibers (e.g. the 270).

I have attempted to track deer that were poorly shot with a 30-06 unsuccessfully. Shot placement is paramount, bullet selection is important, having enough gun is also important.

Quote:
When I feel the need to deer hunt with a cannon I'll take my .58 Enfield and I'll get just as many deer with it as you do your scoped inline.
I don't use an inline...I use a bow either a compound or a re-curve depending upon my desire at the time. Lately I fill my tags prior to modern gun season with my bow.

Page generated in 0.02977 seconds with 8 queries