View Single Post
Old August 21, 2008, 06:43 AM   #24
Keltyke

Quote:
Wow, unless your talking about the Nazi SS, I'm not sure where this kind of thing happens. At least not as the normal MO.
What I'm about to say applies to the area I live in. Some of you who live in these war zones y'all describe in big cities may have different experiences.

Right, peetza. Your normal burglar is not a fearless, trigger-happy, Uzi-toting messenger of death. In fact, most burglaries are committed unarmed because using a weapon carries a much longer jail sentence. Most burglars like to break in when the occupants are NOT at home, and will often leave quickly if they hear human sounds from within.

Home invasion is a different story - however, most home invasions are not well planned and many are a spur-of-the-moment idea. They're usually committed when there's only one occupant in the house, usually female. Rape is attempted (usually fails if the female struggles a lot) or done, and a robbery is committed. Sometimes an elderly man is beaten. I know these things are not to be taken lightly, but it proves your average BG is a bully and a coward and will NOT attack someone they think might be able to fight back. They want it quick and easy. Children are almost never targeted. Men are seldom targeted. The BG is often a neighbor, lives in the area, or is known to the victim.

Frankly, if I lived in an area where I thought the described scenario could happen, I'd have a 10' razor wire/electrified fence around my property, carry some major shoot power constantly, and hire some professional guards. Alternatively, I'd move. Geez, some of these places must be real jungles. Why do you live there?

Now, as to the deterrent of a shotgun being pumped or a slide being racked - it sure is! I don't know about most of you macho tough guys, but if I'm in someone's house at night, and I hear a pump or slide being racked, I'm sure as heck gonna stop in my tracks, at least until I find out just where that thing is pointed. I'm probably gonna realize I'm outgunned and the simple smash and grab I was going to pull ain't gonna work. At that point, I'm outta there! If I look down and see a red dot on my chest, I'm gonna try and look as harmless as possible.

As to someone breaking in and doing all that stuff before you even have time to catch your breath - only real pros with commando, ninja, or SWAT-type training can pull that off. Next thing you know, the BGs will be using flash-bang grenades.

A loud dog, good alarm system, being alert, and a PD weapon of choice will take care of about 99.8% of what might happen. Let's face it, if the BG is a REAL PRO, you're beaten before you start, because you are NOT a REAL PRO. All you can do in that case is go down shooting.

Page generated in 0.03565 seconds with 8 queries