View Single Post
Old October 5, 2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
By retreating to a safe-room in your house, aren't you basically telling the BG to "take whatever you want....Sorry, I just can't do that...
Nonetheless it is the tactically correct thing to do (as long as all authorized occupants of the house are accounted for and in the safe room). Your aversion to doing so doesn't change the simple facts that --
  1. If you go looking, and there is indeed a BG there, you will be at an extreme tactical disadvantage. You can easily be ambushed or flanked. You may also have given a BG access to family members to use as hostages. Or there maybe more than one BG, one of whom can get to your family while you're occupied with the other one.
  2. When (whether you called them or they were called by a neighbor who may have also seen or heard something) the police respond, they don't know who you are. You are just someone with a weapon.

Massad Ayoob tells a story about the National Tactical Invitational, an annual competition in which some 130 of the top shooters and firearm trainers participate by invitation only. One of the events is a force-on-force exercise using simunitions in which the competitor must clear a house against a single "BG." According to Mas, during the first six of these annual events, only one competitor, in one year "survived" the exercise and he was head of NASA security firearms training at the time. And one, and only one, made it through the seventh year. The tactical advantage of the ensconced adversary is just too great. And remember, these competitors were highly skilled, highly trained fighters.

So if you go out looking, it is most likely that you will lose. If you lose, you leave your family unprotected and have let them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mello2u
...what to do and say in a shooting aftermath after the scene is secured by the police and when the police start to question you, limit what you say to identifying yourself and that you feared for your life. Then say that you are upset, don't fell up to giving a statement, and would like to consult with your attorney....
That can do. And while it is better to say nothing than say the wrong thing, clamming up is what bad guys do. You want to immediately identify yourself as the good guy and the victim.

Personally, I'll go along with what Massad Ayoob recommends and has taught me in his LFI-I class and be prepared to say the following:

1. That person attacked me.
2. I will sign a complaint.
3. There is evidence (pointing to evidence).
4. There are witnesses (pointing to witnesses).
5. I won't say anything more now. You'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours after I've talked with my lawyer.

That identifies me as the victim, helps assure that evidence and witnesses aren't overlooked and invokes my right to thereafter remain silent.

Page generated in 0.11160 seconds with 8 queries