View Single Post
Old August 18, 2008, 12:28 PM   #25
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
There is a very basic point here that no one seems to have addressed. If I may, I'd like to lead the forum to it...biggest joke in our country is our 'war' on drugs...
Off topic and I won't get into that debate as I think legalizing drugs is about as stupid as using them. I would start another thread on that.

Quote:
Be careful how you use "common sense" as its tainted by pereceptions.
Perhaps. I don't have hard numbers about civilian ownership of full auto weapons. But, neither do you as they didn't measure it. I have read that Thompson tried to market its subgun to farmers and they didn't do well. So, all I have to look at is the culture of hunting and self defense as I know it from my relatives and others I knew who lived then. From that I believe that very very few law abiding citizens owned FA weapons prior to the 1934 NFA. I think if they had been a lot of those owners there would have been a lot more protest against the law. I think the argument is spurious.

Quote:
The actual cost of an NFA weapon was and is not much different than most other weapons.
Much more expensive to shoot though.

Quote:
So, to use your analogy, I should be free to own and operate a fully functional M2HB and (assuming local laws allow shooting) plink with it in my backyard without any interference or prior approval from the gov't as long as I don't fire it on the public areas.
You can do all of that now except for the plinking part. However, comparing cars to guns is apples and oranges and we have a lot of threads about that and it is off topic.

Page generated in 0.03621 seconds with 8 queries