View Single Post
Old July 16, 2008, 10:15 AM   #8
applesanity

While the Obama comments are indeed super lame, you are much, much more lame for pulling stuff out of context. I'm no fan of Obama, but come on.

From the link - Obama's paragraph before the OP:

Quote:
Even as I hope for some measure of peace and comfort to the bereaved families, I must also hope that we as a nation draw some measure of wisdom from this tragedy. Certain immediate lessons are clear, and we must act upon those lessons decisively. We need to step up security at our airports. We must reexamine the effectiveness of our intelligence networks. And we must be resolute in identifying the perpetrators of these heinous acts and dismantling their organizations of destruction.
Then comes that paragraph in the OP. Then the next paragraph is...

Quote:
We will have to make sure, despite our rage, that any U.S. military action takes into account the lives of innocent civilians abroad. We will have to be unwavering in opposing bigotry or discrimination directed against neighbors and friends of Middle Eastern descent. Finally, we will have to devote far more attention to the monumental task of raising the hopes and prospects of embittered children across the globe—children not just in the Middle East, but also in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Eastern Europe and within our own shores.
Then, in context, you see that over all the political fluff and pandering and pretty talk, is this: [I]We have to learn from this tragedy. We gotta find them terrorists. We gotta stop them. More importantly, we should to try understand why they are so messed up so we can stop this culture of hatred. Lastly we gotta be rational in approach to these solutions because we're all full of rage right now.

The real problem with Obama's comments is because it would be normal and human and downright American to be supremely emotional after 9/11. Think: George Bush's speech after 9/11 - you know the one with tears in his eyes. Where's Obama's passion? Where's Obama's thirst for vengeance? Where's Obama's soul? Obama's problem is the same problem that happened to another democratic presidental candidate:

"Governor, if Kitty Dukakis were raped and murdered, would you favor an irrevocable death penalty for the killer?"

"No, I don't, and I think you know that I've opposed the death penalty during all of my life,"

Page generated in 0.02432 seconds with 8 queries