View Single Post
Old July 16, 2006, 11:09 PM   #17
pickpocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith
This is a warning. Familiarity breeds contempt. Keep training with live weaons in class and one day someone is going to 'demo' and 'forget'.
I prefer "Complacency Kills"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff
Lets say someone steps up to the plate and takes the shot only to find they were not quite ready. What if that adreniline rush that we all try to simulate in training jumps up and bites someone? It's not a calculted risk that I want to expose people to.
I do agree with you here.

This touches on another aspect of how I like to train - I think it is important that a team possess what I have heard called a "Culture of Communication"...
This is where people are not afraid to call BS or "Time-Out" during training if they feel uncomfortable. Team members should feel comfortable letting the team know when they are NOT ok, and the team should be able to accept that, adjust, and carry on.
There will always be the good-natured trash talking, but most of us know when we cross the line. I feel that a good team that has this "Culture of Communication" will be able to conduct risky training while keeping their focus on safety.

With respect to the officers who balked at doing the drill, I applaud them for owning up to being uncomfortable before being pushed into something that they did not think they could do - thereby averting a potentially bad situation. My point was that I think it highlights a deficiency in training or abilities, and once identified, steps should be taken to address those deficiencies.

They were never going to actually DO the drill, my point was that they weren't even willing.

I think you and I might be closer in opinion than it seems.

Stay sharp!

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"

Page generated in 0.04008 seconds with 8 queries