View Single Post
Old July 18, 2006, 04:12 PM   #23
pickpocket

Quote:
pickpocket, more than a few trained professionals have died this way. It happens just about every year and there is absolutely no reason for it to happen.
I don't disagree. However, this comes back to professionalism and trust. Every situation that someone can dig up where someone has died can be traced back to negligence....which comes full circle to lack of professionalism or lack of training.

My honest opinion is that this is a case where we choose not to hold the INDIVIDUAL responsible for their actions. Rather than force people to accept responsibility that their lack of regard for safety may end the life of another human, we simply remove the possibility by limiting the use of equipment. You can't be trusted, so we'll just hold your hand and make you safe. I feel that when we're talking about advanced levels of training that this is a luxury that we cannot afford. It's fine for the uninitiated, but we really should expect more our of our trained professionals.
To expect someone to carry a gun all day and be responsible for their actions yet make that responsibility a non-issue during training is simply backwards to me.

Please understand, I'm not advocating unsafe range practices...quite the contrary...a large part of my training focuses on responsible and safe practices. I just feel that we overcompensate sometimes.

Stay safe -

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"

Page generated in 0.03204 seconds with 8 queries