View Single Post
Old March 5, 2008, 09:00 PM   #3
rwilson452

Using your own could give the prosecuter a little ammo to paint you in some bad light. I would think that the defense should have no problem with this if properly prepared used a preemptive attack. I think 500 rounds of carry ammo is extreme. I don't think 500 rounds of like ammo is extreme. I would want to put 500 down range to insure the darn thing works as advertised. I use store bought for carry and cycle it down range yearly. actually I buy new every year then use up a mag of old stuff at the end of practice sessions, then I make some up to replicate the recoil and feel factors.

Dave, go make up some ammo and shoot it.

Quote:
I'm wondering if I'm ok loading my own self defense ammo. I know the rule of thumb is to run at least 500 rounds of the ammo you want to carry for SD through your gun before you trust it when it's loaded in the gun strapped to your hip. Well, running 500 rounds of factory JHP .45 ACP ammo through my 1911 would get real expensive, real quick.

I'd much rather load my own JHP rounds, test the hell out of them for way less money, and then carry them. I've heard the argument that if you were to god forbid have to shoot someone in self defense and you used hand loaded ammunition, that you would be in legal trouble somehow. Is there any truth at all to this? How would anyone even know you were using reloads in the first place?

I hope this can be cleared up to some extent!

Page generated in 0.03510 seconds with 8 queries