View Single Post
Old December 4, 2001, 01:18 PM   #8
MeekAndMild

Quote:
My trick is to free-float the barrel, and then install a shim out at the front of the forearm. I use about a five-pound pull to separate barrel and stock to allow insertion. I use kitchen wax paper, as the heat of firing makes the wax melt just a tad and it sticks in place.
That's a good idea.

I found out last night that part of the problem may have been that my stock has warped with age just a tiny amount so the right side of the forend was putting pressure on the right side of the barrel instead of being entirely free floating when the humidity changes.

So I reamed out the channel better then varnished it with urathane varnish. The next step will be to shoot the gun as is and see what the patterns are like then add back a square of leather exactly in the middle underneath it if they are not acceptably small.

I can deal with the vertical changes but the side to side variation was really upsetting.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.

Page generated in 0.02522 seconds with 8 queries