View Single Post
Old August 4, 1999, 09:49 AM   #22
Mike Spight

Guttsmoke:

Congratulations...you've managed to insult a few hundred thousand American men and women who served honorably, died or were wounded in Vietnam.

The question I would ask is, just how politically aware should an 18 or 19 year old man be? I know in my case (I was 20 when I stepped off a Flying Tigers charter at Ton Son Nhut) the following applied: First, I was a Southerner and was not inclined to shirk national service; second, I was politically naive; third, I was too stupid to be scared of much (although I soon learned the meaning of REAL fear); fourth, I liked anything that went boom or fired something downrange; fifth, I enjoyed a good fight; finally, I didn't know anything about the history of Vietnam or our nation's involvement in selling it out after WWII, etc. In short, I (like the vast majority of the young grunts and junior officers who served there) were not in a position to weigh the considerable moral issues involved.

So tell us about your military service...did you serve a combat tour? If not, enlighten us on your (brilliant, I'm sure) period of military service. I know we'll all be impressed.

Page generated in 0.02352 seconds with 8 queries