View Single Post
Old September 22, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3
DBAR

Quote:
Well, I can tell you that 8 inch groups at 600 yards is 1.28MOA..... which is basically phenomenal. Especially for a first time long distance shooter with factory ammo using a gun that's not particularly designed for the task.
I put a lot of time and money into this AR. I used a SS match grade barrel from Denny’s Guns, which was made by White Oak Armament. 1/7 twist, wlyde chamber, and mid length gas system. The barrel came with a matching bolt supposedly fitted for the barrel. I use a VLTOR Billet upper receiver to increase stiffness (suppose to help with accuracy). I use a Jard 3 lb trigger, and put a good muzzle break on it. So it was put together with accuracy in mind. The guys where surprised that I was doing that well with a 16" barrel, with military ammo.

So those groups are considered really good for an AR? I hope to do better my next outing, but that may be a while. Deer season is coming up, and I don't think my friend wants to shoot on the farm anymore. By the way, I've always shot less than an inch with it at 100 meters off the bench, and 1" to 1.5" proned off the bipod.

Quote:
By this do you mean that the bullets were getting pushed into the case when the gun chambered them? If so, you need a stronger crimp. My humble and completely inexperienced advice would be a factory crimp die... but I'm not sure if I know what I'm talking about or not, so....
Yep, that's what was happening. I put as much crimp as I could, but there is no canalure (spelling?) around the Sierra HPBT match bullets. I couldn't find any quality match bullets with a canalure. I think all the match bullets are designed with bolt guns in mind. I use Hornady dies, could that be the problem. I always thought they where suppose to be on of the best.

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea where I stood in the long range department. My friends where getting 3" to 4" groups, but their rifles are custom builds that they paid a lot of money for. One is a Winchester, and the other was a Savage with the Stock replaced, and some action work done to it?

DBAR

Page generated in 0.02424 seconds with 8 queries