View Single Post
Old May 4, 2000, 02:16 PM   #9
Jay Baker

Any of those calibers about which you asked, would be sufficient for mountain lion. I have a friend who was a professional lion/bear guide, now retired, who used to kill mountain lions with his Ruger Single Six .22LR.

But, if a black bear charges you, you would be better off with what the above posters suggested, .45LC, .44 Mag. .41 Mag., or .454 Casull. I killed a 400 pound black bear in the central Sierra of Kalif., several years ago, with my .41 Mag., Mdl. 57 S&W, using my handload of 210 gr. Sierra JHP. But the bear was treed, and I was with two, armed (also .41 mag) professional guides, with dogs.

I carry it today, or my Ruger B.H. in .45 Long Colt (heavy handloads)in the Idaho boonies. There are lots of bears here in Idaho, including grizzlies.

Odds are, however, you won't have any trouble with either bears or mountain lions, but in my opinion, it never hurts to have "an insurance policy." Better than becoming a statistic, of which "odds" are determined.

Sometimes, in many parts of the country, you will be more in danger from feral dogs, than the true "wild" critters. I've had a set-to with feral dogs and believe me, that can get very, very exciting.

EDIT: Given your situation and hiking (Kalif.) I think I'd go with a Glock .40 and conceal it in a good holster. (My carry pistol when not carrying the above I mentioned, is my Colt L.W. Commander in .45ACP. It'll handle about anything I'd run up against in the two legged, or feral category.)
FWIW. J.B.

[This message has been edited by Jay Baker (edited May 04, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.09483 seconds with 8 queries