View Single Post
Old December 4, 2001, 01:16 PM   #10
Double Naught Spy

CCI works fine in my .45, but the pattern is much larger than I expected. At 10 feet, it is at least 3 feet wide.

I have had a class in herpetology and worked with a herpetologist. The most common dumb thing people do is to use a stick on the snakes, usually trying to beat them. Then they get bitten because they misjudged the snake's size and did not realize the snake could strike further. If you decide to use a stick, then use one that is longer than you are tall and maybe you won't get hurt.

The second dumbest mistake is to not have some idea about the type of snake you are dealing with. Some people react badly to anti-venom and so it was suggested that bringing the snake in with the bitten person was a good idea so that a proper identificaiton could be made and the appropriate anti-venom administered. This resulted in many snakes being brought in, some damaged beyond being identifiable, sometimes with the second person who tried to get the snake also ending up being bitten.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot trying to shoot the snake between your legs.

Here in North America, few people are bitten by snakes for no apparent reason. Usually the snake was stepped on by a person or the person uncovered the snake's place of hiding, such as moving plywood laid out on the ground underwhich the snake had made a home. A bunch of people get bitten trying to move or kill snakes and they get bitten because they don't have any real clue about the snake's behavior or expected behavior. Plus, there is the paranoia of snakes, any snake, and so people get wigged out and try to kill the snake without any idea of what they are doing other than reacting in fear.

Page generated in 0.03971 seconds with 8 queries