View Single Post
Old January 13, 2010, 09:05 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

Well, I loaded up 10 rounds each of 0.7 & 0.9 grains of Trailboss with the same round ball for the 32 S&W last night... looks like somewhere between 1.0 & 1.2 grains would be the max the case would hold with that ball & not compress the powder... I haven't had the time to try them yet, but hope to this weekend... the 0.3 cc Lee dipper will still be much too big for the 32 S&W, but should be OK for a starter load in the 38 S&W...

I was looking through several load books last night, & thinking, & I'd bet that with that very light weight round ball, that the fps figures we were talking about earlier were probably 100-200 fps slower than actual... of course this is just speculation based on charges of Trailboss vrs bullet weights of the 38 S&W Long ( the closest cartridge I could find with published data for Trailboss )... it's suppose to be warmer this weekend ( above zero... yee haw )... maybe I'll rig up a temp set up with the chrony to see about where I'm at for speeds, though pressures are more of a concern to me than velocity... I'm also curious about penitration of a 22 lr out of my NAA mini using the same pine board stuck in a snow bank, that I used last weekend with the 32 S&W... what I'm really looking for as far as pressures, is just enough to expand the brass enough to seal against the chamber walls, to prevent sooting of the outside of the cases, not much more than that... I'm quite sure if I had a pressure barrel, my chamber pressures are extremely low right now, & I'd like to keep them as low as possible, but want the brass to seal against the sides of the chamber walls...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 13, 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.03824 seconds with 8 queries