View Single Post
Old December 21, 2008, 04:38 AM   #13
oldandslow

nat, 12/21/08

As others have said- anything mechanical can fail. With pistols it is usually bad ammo, bad mags or weak springs. One reason to carry an extra mag is that most malfunctions can be corrected by inserting a new mag.

I have a number of carry pistols with round count up to 8000 on each. Many have had infrequent failures. Failures can be minimized by keeping a log of round counts and maintenence so you know when to replace the old springs. Bad ammo can be minimized by using factory ammo or possibly your own reloads if good quality (factory ammo for carry). Mag failures can be prevented by first buying quality mags and then inspecting them and replacing springs when needed.

You have to put a few thousand rounds through your pistol so you can figure out what your failure rate is. Then you can decide if it is reliable enough for carry. My personal criteria is that a pistol has to have less than one failure in every thousand rounds to be reliable for carry. Most of my pistols easily exceed this. Good luck.

Merry Christmas- oldandslow

Page generated in 0.03474 seconds with 8 queries