View Single Post
Old March 29, 2024, 09:48 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
i know that most of you will already know that a minute of angle is not one inch at one hundred yards, but is .954 inch at 100 yds. but i mention that for the few that might not yet know that.
Not exactly. Jim Watson has it right.
Quote:
A minute of angle is 1.04725 inch per hundred yards.
Right. It's a little over an inch. Pi/3, or about 1.047" at 100 yards.
Quote:
Getting 11.25" for a nominal 10 MOA adjustment is about a 7% error. ...
Pretty sure it's 12.5% error which seems a bit much to me.
Quote:
no it's 1/4 moa suposedly.
So 11.25" would be equivalent to adjusting a 1/4 MOA scope 45 clicks when the intent was to adjust it 40 clicks. I guess it could happen. but losing count and adjusting 10x extra seems more likely than adjusting 5x extra, so probably the adjustments are off a bit.

You can see if the scope maker will take the scope back if the adjustment discrepancy bothers you, or you can just calculate the actual value of a click and make your adjustments based on that from now on.
Quote:
so is there a move by optics makers to convert the minute of angle to a "close enough" inch at 100 yds ? or what do you think went wrong with this scope?
It's not uncommon for 1 MOA to be approximated as exactly 1" at 100 yards, nor for a scope click adjustment to be off a little. On your scope, with that much error, it almost sounds like someone used the wrong screws on the adjustments. It would be kind of interesting to see if it has the same error on the windage as the elevation adjustments or if they are different from each other.

Page generated in 0.02963 seconds with 8 queries