Thread: "Ruining meat"
View Single Post
Old December 2, 2007, 11:08 PM   #12
lemmonhead

I find this thread interesting because I have always thought that my .270 ruined way more meat than I thought it should. I have used 130 to 150 gr. bullets from Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Remington, and Nolser and they have all inflicted more damage on meat than I wished. My .270 has been my main deer/elk rifle for almost 20 years. I have used a 30-06 from time to time and this was my first year using a .340 Wby on elk.

Shot a 5x5 elk this year with the .340 225gr partition @ 150 yds. Shot placement was through rib cage, lung shot. The elk went about 15 ft. Took out both lungs and broke several ribs. No significant meat damage.

Shot a 5x5 muley this year with .270 140gr Hornady SST at 175 yds. 1st shot was at the base of the neck just in front of shoulder and the deer just stood there like nothing happened. 2nd shot was in the mid neck at same distance and the deer again did not act like it was hit but trotted down the hit about 20 yds. 3rd shot was a lung shot in ribs deer took a couple of steps and went down. Most of the front of the deer was blood shot even though no shoulder was hit.

I also shot a 10 point white tail this year with same .270 load. Lung shot through ribs. The bullet ricocheted off of the ribs into the spine and resting under the skin in the upper abdomen. Again no shoulder was hit but the blood shot damage ruined on entire front shoulder.

Sorry for the long post but this is a common occurrence with my .270 over the years. No matter were I hit the deer there is more damage than I would like. I have come to the point were I will probably use a 30-06 next year for deer because there has been less excessive damage from my experience. I almost used the .340 on the last deer after the muley experience. Side note: all game was taken on public land.

Page generated in 0.03848 seconds with 8 queries