View Single Post
Old June 18, 2007, 05:47 PM   #9
threegun

I was preparing to fire a bowling pin match years ago with a friend. As we shot a few warm up shots an empty 45acp brass from my friends 1911 hit and stuck between my safety glasses and the soft flesh below my eyebrow and above my eyelid. I thought I had been stung by a wasp or something and litterally beat myself in the face with my weak hand by slapping my glasses off. My gun still loaded never left safe direction and my finger wasn't in the trigger guard.

My mother OTOH had a hot brass land in her cleavage and she turned endangering others as she attempted to remove the hot cartridge. I took charge of the weapon immediately being only inches away. Thankfully she didn't pull the trigger in those few seconds and all was back to normal.

As a range officer I would say be very careful. Especially with newbies. They are the most prone to make these types of mistakes. I can't tell you how many times I have had to say "sir or ma'am" "that muzzel cannot point anywhere but straight" "if it wanders again you will have to leave for the safety of others". People tend to turn the gun to remove the mag. I tell them to turn themselves and leave the gun straight down range.

Like someone said earlier just look at all the holes in other things at the range...............pretty scary. I have to work RO friday.....bummers LOL. Maybe I'll dawn my vest.

Page generated in 0.02944 seconds with 8 queries