View Single Post
Old February 21, 2010, 09:33 PM   #14
horseman308

One question, one thought:

Is it 139 people killed or 139 people murdered? Either way, it's a very small percentage, but I was just curious.

Secondly, like many people here, I have had similar experiences. One thing I have found is that most people have their positions because of a very deep, personal, emotional reason (this goes for more than just guns - try religion, politics, etc). Quoting statistics like this is nothing more than an attempt to outwardly justify having a personal issue deep down. So, while it's nice when we can throw out our own statistics or when we can poke holes in their facts, I have not found that it really does anything to change their minds. It's a pretty well established phenomenon that when people are shown evidence that contradicts their basic beliefs, they work really hard to ignore that evidence and reinforce their ideas. The only people I have seen that respond to things like this are the ones who value data above specific ideologies - and they are few, and likely to support gun rights anyway.

So, what works for me is to do one of two thing:
1) if there is time and the other person is willing, discuss with them their personal reasons for disliking guns. Ask about personal experiences. Ask if they are willing to discuss it calmly and rationally, or if they are simply looking to be confrontational. Most people, when you show yourself to be unphased by confrontation and show yourself to be interested in them, instead of being argumentative yourself, will calm down and talk. That opens the door to something much better than a simple intellectual smack-down (as good as those feel), because they may actually learn something.

2) if the person is unwilling to do the above, just walk away. You cannot use reason and logic to argue with an emotion. It doesn't work. So if a person is so emotional as to be unwilling/unable to talk, you won't get anywhere, no matter how many opposing statistics you have.

Page generated in 0.02465 seconds with 8 queries